Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Keith's adoption story . . .

In the spring of 1999 I was asked if I would be interested in going to a certain African country to be a part of a Sports Ministry Team. I was hesitant at first because I had never been out of the country! After much time in prayer, I felt as though God was encouraging me to be a part of this missions experience. Our team primarily worked with kids by administering basketball camps throughout the country. It didn’t take long for me to fall in love with the people and especially the children. I learned that 1 out of 10 of the children in this country is orphaned due to poverty or illness. I saw children living on the streets, rummaging through garbage dumps for food, and working as though they were adults. Everyday, I looked into the eyes of children begging for coins. My heart became attached to these children at a level that’s hard to describe. Towards the end of my time there, I realized God had something larger in store for me than the mission trip alone. God was calling me to help further.

I met missionaries there who had adopted twins and I couldn’t get enough of those two. However, it wasn’t until I was about to board the plane to go home that I realized what God was trying to tell me. As I sat in the terminal, across the way was a couple who were holding a tiny baby. I went over to get a better look and it was like God was giving me a vision of a future for my family. The couple was from the U.S. and they were adopting from this African country. I talked to them momentarily and just felt that would be Sharon and me someday.

After arriving home, I told Sharon about my epiphany (so to speak). She laughed. I did a little as well because I knew that we were not ready to do such a thing. I simply prayed that God would speak to her like He spoke to me… at some point, some day, down the line. Well, almost eight years and two children later, that some point, that someday, down the line came about and God conveyed to Sharon the same thing He told me. I’m thankful for God’s timing. Words fail in describing my excitement that God’s call to help a little one in need and grow our family is in the process of being fulfilled. We covet your prayers and support in this journey we are on. God bless you, and our family – especially our daughter half way across the world. - Keith

No comments: